The building housing the restaurant has been in existence since 1912 and was formerly the Staff Common Room of the former College of Arts Science and Technology. Lillian's underwent extensive renovations in the wake of Hurricane Gilbert in 1988 and was officially opened by the School of Hospitality and Tourism Management (formerly the Hospitality and Food Science Department) in November 1992.
In July 2000, the restaurant was closed to facilitate major renovations and was re-opened in February 2002. The restaurant provides hands-on training for students in the areas of Dining Room Service Management and A La Carte preparation. An added feature to the restaurant includes a window to the kitchen where guests can view students while they prepare meals.