– Official Transcript of studies
– TRN card for number to be noted. (Passport for foreign nationals)
– Two certified passport sized pictures (signed by a Justice of the Peace or
– Outline of proposed research (for research courses)
– Statement of purpose – 250 words (for taught courses)
• Applicants for the MPhil and the PhD courses of study may submit their
application at least three months before the start of the semester in which
they intend to commence their study.
• Applicants for the MPhil/PhD must state the field of their proposed
• The Faculty Graduate Studies, Research and Entrepreneurship Coordinators
must certify that supervisors are available for the particular field of study
of MPhil/PhD applicants.
• Prospective students are encouraged to approach the Faculties for initial
enquiry on available fields and supervisors.
• Applicants should also observe special application requirements of the
course to which they are applying.
• The University reserves the right to admit or reject applications.
Candidates doing graduate courses may have full-time or part-time status based
on the number of credit hours taken each semester.
POLICY ON THE MINIMUM CREDIT HOURS FOR GRADUATE
COURSES OF STUDY
Candidates are expected to earn a minimum of 36 credits in taught master’s
degrees and 40 credits in research-based master’s degrees. Candidates are also
expected to earn 90 credits for research based doctoral courses of study (PhD).
Based on the current course delivery structure practiced by academic units at
the University of Technology, Jamaica taught master’s are delivered between
U T e c h G R A D U A T E S T U D I E S H A N D B O O K
SCHOOL OF GR ADUA T E S TUD I E S R E S E A RCH AND ENT R E P R ENE UR SH I P